Friday, September 18, 2015

Gone Monetate : Personalizing Marketing at 100K events/second


Internet advertising has gone the way of junk mail.  There are tons of impersonal advertisements sucking up screen real-estate and mailbox space.   The majority of the advertising industry leverages only inane intelligence that assumes, "because I clicked on a rubber ducky once, I must want to buy a rubber ducky".  In fact, I probably want to see rubber duckies on every site I visit, which is the internet equivalent of a mailbox full of refinance offers the second I have my credit checked.  I'd much rather be shown things I care about.  Even better, show me stuff I didn't know I cared about!

That is the reason I joined Monetate.  Well, it was that combined with the opportunity to join a rock-star team of passionate geniuses, working on an incredibly challenging real-time data and analytics problem, hell-bent on changing the world.

I've only been on the team for a week, and I've been blown away.  Directed by Jeff Persch, the development teach has architected a phenomenal platform: scalable and resilient, with simplicity as a core tenant.  With Monetate at the center of many of the e-commerce interactions, influencing almost 1/3 of the dollars spent on Black Friday, that is no small feat.  We are gearing up for another black friday, for which peak traffic may hit 50-100K events / second!

Doing some math on that, the numbers get big really fast:

100K / s = 6M / minute = 360M / hour = ~8B events / day

Yep, that ended in the B word... per day.  And like everyone else, we are pushing to deliver better, faster, and more insightful analytics on those user activity streams... in near real-time.

And because of that, I hope to have many useful/fun blog posts coming.

Right now, we're in the process of rolling out Druid, a favorite technology of mine. (and something to which we dedicated a whole chapter in our Storm book -- (shameless plug ;))  With Druid in place, we'll be able to slice and dice the real-time events.

And we already have the ability to ingest user context in real-time. When you combine that user context with stream processing that allows us to identify behavioral trends, our decision engine can make contextual decisions, adapt on the fly, and deliver relevant/interesting content to the end-user!

Hooray!

Imagine if we could only do that for the real world too.  Instead of coming home to a mailbox filled with junk mail that I immediately throw awawy,  I'd have updates on the latest gadgetry and fishing paraphernalia.  Hmm, maybe I can get that on the roadmap. ;)

Anyway, I couldn't be happier with my choice to join Monetate.  The people, culture and technology are astounding.

Stay tuned -- likely my next blog post will show how to leverage Amazon's Kinesis for 1/100th the cost.  (by aggregating events into a smaller number of Kinesis records, decreasing the overall message rate, you can save mondo dough =)





2 comments:

Roman lesnar said...

Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article. how can I make money online

رضا رمضان said...



خدماتنا متميزة عن غيرنا في مجال التسريبات سربات المياه والعوزال وحل بطرق سليمة دون التدمير فعندنا في شركة ركن البيت افضل يوجد افضل الفنين الممتزين في مجال التسربات والكشف عنها بدون اي مشاكل من خلال الطاقم التي تم تدريبه في شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام فتعاملك معنا ستحصل علي خدمات متميزة

شركة كشف تسربات المياه بجدة
شركة كشف تسربات بجدة
شركة عزل خزانات بالرياض
شركة عزل اسطح بالرياض

شركة كشف تسربات بالدمام
شركة كشف تسربات بالرياض
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
كشف تسربات المياه